Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chunky ATC Swap

The Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo! Group just completed a chunky ATC swap.  First I'll show you what I made for Eileen, then I'll show you what I got from Donna.   This was my first attempt at a chunky ATC.  My DH cut for me some ATCs from his woodworking supplies.  They're cut standard ATC size 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" from a 2x4 board.  That makes the sides 1-1/2" wide and gives you 6 sides work with.  Since Wendy has her own stamp line, Studio 490 for Stampers Anonymous, I used those stamps.  Since she also designs for Tim Holtz and uses his products, so did I.  Then I threw in a few things I use to make this from me.  Using tickets and games, my theme is Play (since New York has great plays on Broadway and Eileen--from what I can gather on her blog-- seems to enjoy life, making art and traveling).

For starters:  I primed the entire block of wood with ArtQuest PPA (Perfect Paper Adhesive) Matte.  I used Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabber in Expresso to distress all of the edges.  Then I layered side by side--all around the four 1-1/2" sides--the two Tim Holtz tissue tapes that came in my package, one with tickets, one with numbers.  I hammered in 4 decorative upholstery nails for feet on the bottom side. 

Here is the front.  I cut a vintage (meaning auction find) BINGO card to ATC size and glued it on the front. I distressed the edges with Tim Holtz for Ranger Antique Linen Distress Ink.  The BINGO markers are inchie size and thick, so I dug around and found the O62 to put on that space at the bottom, hanging over a bit.  The leaf and flower are Wendy's stamps, stamped onto grungepaper, cut out, inked and layered.  The inks are Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, and Pine Needles, all Tim Holtz for Ranger Distress Inks.  I outline everything with black pen. The color palette is from the back side, so maybe I should have shown that first.  The flower center is from a slightly newer, different, yet still vintage BINGO set.  I chose "B" for Eileen's last name.  I wrinkled and distressed the ticket.  Both the ADAGE Ticket and Memo Pin are Tim Holtz Idea-ology.  Of course, grungepaper allows you to mold the leaves and flowers into a 3-D shape.
Here is one of the sides.  You can see the two tissue paper strips.  This is another layered and inked Wendy flower stamped on grungepaper.  I then ran them both through the Cuttlebug, using on the bigger flower the Tim Holtz Alterations Cracked Texture Fade and using on the smaller flower the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder.  You can see the 3-D effect of the grungepaper flower from the front.
Here is the other side which has a grungepaper Sissex vine cut with my Cuttlebug rather than by hand as I did the flowers.  Then I ran it through the Cuttlebug a second time using the Bird Call embossing folder.  This vine is painted with Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabber in Lettuce.  I wrapped the vine (sorta like a beanstalk) up the side and across the top.  Only the stem is glued down.  I didn't take a picture of the top, but I added a Websters Pages bloomer--that and the vintage BINGO card are the me parts.
This is the back and my favorite part of the Chunky ATC. I hope Eileen likes it because I used Tommy Boy, from Paper Imagery Designs, a group she designs for. The ATC background is from Tim Holtz' new paper line.  He cleverly designed paper with a pattern perfect for cutting ATCs and strips.  So this is one of the ATC rectangles from the 12x12 sheet.  I stamped on top of it one of Wendy's number background stamps.  I also stamped on grungepaper Wendy's smaller butterfly and inked it with Vintage Photo and added some vintage Stickles.  Tim Holtz' filmstrip ribbon down the side and Tommy's metal crown complete the ATC. 
Now here is the amazing Chunky ATC I received from Donna.  By the way, these are her photos.  You can tell she's a pro at anything artsy. 
Do you see the face up above?  Isn't Donna amazing? I love that feather! And look at that pleated paper!
I love this bird and rose.  And check out that topper!

6 comments:

scrappin-scrappin said...

Helene your chunky atc is fabulous!! I'm sure Eileen is going to love it! Weren't these fun to do!! Thank you so much for the compliment!!

Anonymous said...

Helene, I love my ATC and can't wait to get it! You really put a lot into it and it warms my heart that you personalized it for me so much.
Thank you!!
Eileen

Linda M. Cain said...

these are so much fun!

Linda

Lori said...

HOLEE CRAP! You really nailed it, sister! This is so TOTALLY personal, just for Eileen! Way cool awesome! She will LOVE IT!

Art By Wanda said...

Helene, your chunky is very nice!!!! Aren't they fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous ATCs! Never thought of making mine chunky but you certainly have inspired me.

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album