Thursday, June 9, 2011

This is my design team work for June's Bella Unique challenge which is a technique challenge at Bella Creations.
 
ABOUT THE LAYOUT:
I fussy cut a couple of butterflies from the pretty Pink Paislee papers, tried my hand at wet distressing the paper, and used my die cut to make vines which I covered with Broken China distress ink to match dt Bella Heather's cherub die cut. This is a photo of my two dds. I got from them the matching Pink Paislee wood embellies--butterfly and cage, which I painted to match the paper.  The cage has several distress inks plus Perfect Pearls.  I added some bigger flowers from my stash as well as some matching Pink Paislee green alpha stickers for the title, SOAR. I hope the internet French translator didn't let me down. The quote is supposed to say, My beautiful daughters soar on the wings of butterflies.


ABOUT THE KIT:
I had a wonderful time working with the June  monthly kit, Heavenly, from Bella Creations

The kit includes these beautiful Pink Paislee Butterfly Garden 12 x 12 papers.  In addition to the flowers, trim, buttons, and bling that you'd expect in a kit, Bella Creations owner, Lacee Broyles, is adding some handmade embellishments.  The June kit includes a crocheted butterfly. You also get a die cut butterfly and cherub label created by dt Bella Heather Hudson who is offering an entire sheet of the cherub label FREE to anyone purchasing the June Heavenly kit.  But hurry, as there are only 11 kits left!  You can purchase your own kit at the Bella Blog.


ABOUT THE UNIQUE TECHNIQUE CHALLENGE:
This month we're challenged to make a ribbon flower with wired ribbon.  The technique is from our Bella Unique sponsor, the flying unicorn.  Here is the link to the tutorial: 
http://flyingunicornllc.blogspot.com/2010/05/tecchnique-tuesday-another-flower.html

The tutorial calls for 1-1/2" wide wired ribbon.  So I made a white flower using the exact directions. Once done, I decided the flower would make a great bow on a gift--so here it is for a wedding coming up this summer:   (sorry the photo is a bit skewed)

Then I decided to use a narrower pink ribbon with silver edging that turned out to be the right size for my layout.  You'll find it on the bottom of the layout. 
But I didn't stop there!  I took the garter ribbon that came in the kit and made another flower with it, my version of the unique challenge.  Here's my tutorial on the small and dainty pink flower:


Bella Soft and Dainty Flower tutorial using the pink garter ribbon in Lacee's June kit.
Take the length of ribbon and cut it in half so that you have 6 inches to work with.
Using a needle and thread and start rolling the ribbon, catching the center of the elastic as you go.

Once it is totally rolled up, stitch through all layers on each side of the center stitches you just did.  You will be cutting through all layers directly down the center in order to make 2 flowers.  Stitching on each side now, will keep the individual flowers from unrolling.

Cut down the middle, and finish backs as you wish.

Note to those with sewing machines:  You probably could sew your two rows first, then cut down the middle and roll each flower individually.  However, I don't sew, so when I cut down the middle first, the elastic and ribbon totally unraveled.  My tutorial is my version to keep everything from unraveling if you do it by hand.

We're also challenged to use this sketch by our dt Bella, Heather Hudson:
I hope you'll join us at Bella Creations for this Bella Unique challenge. It can be any type of art format: card, layout, tag, etc. Just use the sketch and make a wired ribbon flower! More design team examples are at the Bella Creations site in the Forum under June Bella Unique challenge.

17 comments:

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

These are so pretty. Love all the ideas you posted and specially the flowers.

Valerie-Jael said...

Great work, love those roses! Valerie

Carla said...

Amazing Creations...............love your tut on the little ribbon flowers............super cute.

Lori said...

Wow, Helene, this is just stunning work. I love those papers! Just beautiful!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

More stunning artwork. Fantastic details and what a beautiful photograph of your DDs.
Also a brilliant tutorial.
Wishes
Lynne

Marjie Kemper said...

What an absolutely gorgeous layout!

Ann said...

beautiful layout!! love your ribbon flowers!!

Jingle said...

Beautiful layout and great flowers!

1CardCreator said...

Gorgeous daughters and lay out! Love your flowers and the tutorial too.

Willy said...

Marvellous lay-out and flowers!

Chriss said...

Beautiful layout - I love all the elements; they really work well together. I will definitely have to try the flowers, they're so pretty!

Sharon said...

This is just beautiful!! I LOVE the gorgeous handmade flowers and the instructions for making them!! Fantastic!

cathy said...

This is a stunning layout. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Fab layout and those flowers are gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial. xx

Clare Lloyd said...

what a wonderful scrapbooking page, it is very beautiful. x

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Love those flowers!

ms.schwiet said...

Stunning...enough said

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album