Friday, September 6, 2013

What Autumn Brings

September means back to school and a look to fall decor.  In the crafting world, Halloween is in full swing.

This is a double post, one for back to school challenges and one for this week's Tag Tuesday theme.

BACK TO SCHOOL--Mid-Century Vintage

This project started with a prompt in the Gecko Galz September e-newsletter.  Leanne is offering a challenge with a $50 shopping spree from Gecko Galz for the winner.  To play, you must use a digital image from my design teamie Heather Hudson's etsy shop.  And then send your creation via email to geckogalz@yahoo.com  with the words "challenge entry" in the subject space.  On September 30th  all the entries will be posted on the Gecko Galz blog site and a winner crowned.


I decided to go with a school theme because I could then enter these two challenges:
Sugar Creek Hollow Challenge #68 Back to School
Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge #79 Back to School and Ribbon

Heather also is on both of those design teams.  If you let her know that you entered both of those challenges, she will put your name in the hat to randomly draw two of her digital collage sheets from her etsy shop. See her sample and this special offer on her blog HERE

I also want to enter this card here:
A Card a Day Blog:  September prompt:  kiddie card

Materials
I used Heather's library card for my background.  I love to read.  I won the reading contest in fourth grade, reading 144 books from the classroom library.
I added images from Gecko Galz' School Days collage sheet.   Note the supply list from 1956-57.  I was seven and in second grade.  I loved the annual shopping trip for new school supplies.  I still swoon at the smell of new crayons when I open a box (now for my granddaughter).  I remember that hall pass. 
I tried to duplicate those Dick and Jane books with the graphic and words from the Red Lead Paperworks School Days Collage Sheet 2.
Edging papers with Ranger Distress Markers in Vintage Photo, Wild Honey, and Black Soot.
Gold ribbon from Really Reasonable Ribbon
some black paper flowers from Bazzill
misc. autumn toned cardstock from stash.  The card base is dark green.
I photographed the card on the same orange paper that I used to mat Heather's library card. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get this card to be a perfect rectangle in the camera lens. 

TAG TUESDAY-  Eyes

Tag Tuesday's prompt this week is eyes.   I thought of the song lyrics, "I see the moon and the moon sees me."  Have you ever gazed into the moon looking for the eyes, nose and mouth carved from the craters?  This little vintage girl is playing peek-a-boo with the man in the moon.



This is a digital hybrid tag.  After layering and printing, I edged with ink and added some embellishments.  The man in the moon is sporting a page divider label dressed up to look like a hat.
I photographed the tag on a black background.

Please visit the Tag Tuesday blog to see what the other players created for this week's theme.

Materials:
Vintage Moon from the Graphics Fairy
Peek-a-boo witch from Tattered Sisters:  I cleaned this up digitally to layer on top of the moon.  It took me a long time to do this, next time I'll print it and fussy cut the image from the dark background. 
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Remnant Rubs-Elements (stars at bottom of tag)
Heidi Swapp chipboard star (on hat)  I colored it with a Ranger black soot distress marker and then wiped it to reveal the dots
other stars (puffy gold foil, felt and flocked), ribbon and label from stash

I would like to enter this tag in:

Our Creative Corner:  September Challenge: Forgotten Things
I just looked through all of my Halloween stash.  I had forgotten about the felt star I got from Laura McCullough in a prize I won from her years ago. 

Live and Love Crafts:  September Challenge 15 Inspiration (from photo collage--I was inspired by the beige tones and vintage look in the top left photo)

27 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Both fabulous projects Helene, love the back to school theme and great images for the eyes one.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Unknown said...

Helene, these are both fabulous, love the images you use hun, so well put together xxx

Sophie said...

Ein Spitzen-Tag!
Das sieht fantastisch aus :-)

Helene, und ich bin schon bei den Weihnachtskarten, habe einfach Halloween übersprungen...
Aber vielleicht fällt mir dazu ja auch noch was ein.

Liebe Grüße

Sophie said...

Upps, das Schul-Thema ist ja auch hier zu kommentieren.
Das hast du schön umgesetzt.
So viele Details, so schön anzusehen...
Der Stil ist super!

Sophie xx

Sharon said...

Great creations!!! I do love the halloween tag the best!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh...both of these are wonderful!!! Those images are perfection! So FUN and perfectly laid out.

Heather said...

LOVE the tag and your card Helene! Thanks for the shout out about the Challenge!! I love how you used the library card!!
Hugs!!
Heather

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely adorable, Helene!

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Stunning card! I love your images and layout, beautiful creation! Thanks for sharing with us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Amelia (DT Sugar Creek Hollow)

Anonymous said...

The Back to School card has such a lovely sense of nostalgia to it and as for the tag, so cute.
Yes, I like to look and see the Man in the Moon.
Wishes
Lynne

Redanne said...

Your tag is beautifully laid out, I love the image of the girl and the wonderful sentiment. Thanks so much for joining our Forgotten Things challenge at Our Creative Corner. Anne x

Margie said...

That's such a cute image on your tag Helene - I love her knickerbockers! Thanks for sharing this with us at Our Creative Corner. Margie x

Cathi ONeill said...

Gorgeous vintage card Helene, just love all your details and images! Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!!

hazel said...

Wonderful projects Helene, I love the images.
xxx Hazel.

Words and Pictures said...

I love your images - both the retro schoolgirl, and the adorable little witch in her knickerbockers - really lovely makes built around them too!
Alison x

Marjie Kemper said...

Great projects! Love that 50's girl and the moon/saying on your Halloween piece too.

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

What a delightful retro school card!! Love all the school elements you incorporated! Thanks for joining our Back to School & Ribbon Challenge at Really Reasonable Ribbon!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Moz said...

Great vintage card and lovely arrangement! Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow this week!
Hugz
Moz

Shelly Schmidt said...

Loving your fun school card- the fun accents are so cool- love the hall pass/supply list and the ribbon rosettes with Alphabet letters. Great 'eye' themed card- fun image of the little girl with her eyes covered- so cool!

Paper Profusion said...

These are wonderful Helene! They capture past decades fabulously.

I have candy today if you would like to pop over.

Nicola x

Michele said...

2 seriously fab creations! vintage awesomeness! xo

Anonymous said...

Hey I just love the card. And I really really love the tag...swoon!!! So adorable. Good work girl! Thanks for playing along with us at Really Reasonable Ribbon. Hope you win...I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya : )

cinmfoster said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Card A Day Blog.
Cindy F.

Julie Lee said...

I love the fabulous, retro look of both these projects, really beautiful! Julie Ann x

Elin said...

Thank you for sharing your card with us at the LLC site, and for joining our challenge this month.

Tina Campbell said...

Love the vintage look of the card. Thanks for joining us at Card A Day Blog.

Terry said...

I remember hall passes and wonder if they still do that? Love the BTS card and that tag! Fabulous layers!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album