Monday, September 30, 2013

Wood, Black Paint and Chalk

Wonderful news!  Unruly Paper Arts blogozine will continue thanks to Dani and Zoe.  There will be some new columnists coming aboard.  I have decided to take a sabbatical this term in order to devote more time to some important family events coming up in the next six months.  However, I will continue to provide a couple of design team inspirations for the Reader Art QuestsAnd here's the first one......

Happy October!  The theme for this month's Unruly Paper Arts issue is Haunting Ways.  And the two Reader Art Quests (RAQs) are Black It Out and Going Batty.


Here is my design team inspiration for RAQ 1: Black It Out

I used My Mind's Eye the spider's web Halloween Night 12x12 scrapbook paper from my stash.  There was so much detail on the paper that I didn't need to do anything to it.  Instead, I concentrated on the new chalk technique--for the wood witch (Red Lead Paperworks) and the chalk cardstock.



Mini Tutorial

Using dabber on bottle, paint witch face, legs, hand and pumpkin with Ranger Distress Stain - Wild Honey
Using hand-roll method (not adhering stamp to a block) stamp checkerboard (from Rogue Redhead Designs This N That stamp plate) onto pumpkin, using Ranger Distress Ink (pad) - Spiced Marmalade.  Immediately, using dabber on bottle, lightly dab Ranger Distress Stain - Wild Honey in four places on pumpkin, to blur the squares.

Using foam brush, paint remaining wood with two coats of black chalkboard paint, drying one hour in-between coats of paint.  Let cure 24 hours.

Using side of chalkboard chalk, rub chalk onto witch and then rub off with chalk eraser or a piece of felt (I used felt).
Outline the witch with your choice of white marker. I used white chalk.


Use banner die (Stampin' Up) to cut three banners from Chalkstock (Canvas Corp.)  Punch holes and lace with Doodletwine.  Anchor with bat gems. Using chalk, hand draw border and print letter on each banner.

I think this page would look great framed for the holiday or as a first page in a Halloween album. 
FYI, I just upgraded the software on my iPhone.  It now has a "square" feature on the camera which really helped when photographing this 12x12 page.

As always, I'm looking forward to reading all the columns this month and seeing your art work entered in the Reader Art Quests.

10 comments:

Laura S Reading said...

This is an adorable project!
I hope I find time to try it.

Netty said...

Smashing project Helene, Annette x

Lynn Stevens said...

I just Love Halloween Helene, such a darling project, Enjoy your time away
Hugs Lynn

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderfully done- love the chalkboard look- always love this time of year and the sweet Halloween projects!

Michele said...

awesome project! looks great. best wishes with your family doings over the next few months. i hope that all goes well. xo

Terry said...

Fabulous Halloween page! Love that frame around that little witch! Sometimes we just need extra time for family or ourselves! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable, it is really wonderful.
Wishes
Lynne

trisha too said...

Lynne is right, this really is adorable, Helene!!

:)trisha

1CardCreator said...

This looks super cool, I love the chalk board look too! ~Diane

Vicki said...

Awesome page, Helene!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album